When it comes to software testing, there is plenty to think about for QA and IT management. A software testing trend is shaping up how quality assurance testing process is done these days.
When it comes to a software testing service, choosing the best method depends on various factors, including the objectives, who will do the testing, the experience, resources and timelines, end-user expectations and a whole lot more. With so much to think about, it could be difficult for testers to keep up with the ever emerging processes.
THE IMPORTANCE OF TESTING SOFTWARE
In testing software, there are software testing tools available. Testing is necessary since naturally, people make mistakes. Some mistakes are irrelevant, but some are dangerous and expensive. Everything should be checked because things could always go wrong since humans make mistakes regularly. Since it is assumed that there would always be mistakes, thus it requires checking the work. Someone else should check the work because another person is likely to see the flaws.
THE TRENDS IN SOFTWARE TESTING
As technology continues to evolve, software development and of course software quality assurance will also continue to evolve. Just like software development and solutions, there are also trends in software testing that testers should be aware of to keep up with the changing needs and to be ahead of the competition. The following are some of the software testing trends made an impact this year.
- Test automation. This is the undeclared king of quality assurance services and is still the best way to speed release cycles, test fixes fast and quickly evolve code to catch defects and to not delay deployment. There’s still plenty of room for improvement as a lot of companies run manual testing. Test automation isn’t easy and quite challenging for a lot of vendors and must be tailored precisely to the demands of each customer. It is predicted that test automation would take on bigger importance and test automation would go beyond functional testing. It would provide opportunities for testers to hone their skills.
- Big Data. Digital revolution le4d to the growth of big data. Big companies often ask for strategies in testing big data systems, which appear to be too huge in volume to be managed traditionally. The most frequent concerns are not having ample storage space for test data backup, or unable to manage data on one server. A tester should be surgical about testing minus a force approach. There would likely be innovative and new ways, techniques and methods to offer big data testing. Also, test automation would be widely applied since there simply is too much data and too little time to drill down to all data manually.
- The Internet of Things. IoT devices and applications are tested for performance, security and usability. To ensure deep test coverage, testers should not only validate the device or its connection properties, but think outside the box as well to check the rarer and unthinkable scenarios, since the domain expertise no longer suffice for extensive testing for internet of things products. In the not-so-far future, the out-of-the-box thinking problem would be resolved through AI solutions. If well-designed, it would provide real-time analytics and monitoring of IoT products.
- New Types of Service. Together with traditional services, QA vendors work to create new services that would bring value to customer and to help them have a competitive edge on the market. Baseline-testing has been developed, which includes estimation of the quality level of an app in general and a roadmap to boosting overall quality. Furthermore, QA consulting and test advisory services are gaining popularity. They are required by customers who want to develop from scratch or boost in-house testing strategies. With traditional testing provided by a lot of companies, quality assurance vendors would think of new service lines to stay competitive.
- Security testing. This is one that would never go out of style. What quality assurance providers should be prepared for now is to handle the steady growth in systematic testing of any kind of software products and provide staff augmentation to boost security testing as well as products development life cycle. Mobile apps security is a considerable field since the number of mobile devices and apps downloaded grows fast, together with the number of attacks. Also, security testing for IoT apps have increased this year.
The pace of change in software testing and the QA process would be fast. Testers then should be willing to learn and stay current on new tools and processes continuously. One does not have to know every tool, but should be aware of the tools that could supplement or help in automating mundane testing elements. A software tester should always stay on top of the game through learning new skills, open to new processes to do things in a better way. To keep up with the trend, it is important to spend out practicing new techniques, tools and soft skills.