Several medical reports state that more than 35 % of the Indian population suffer from anal fistula. And most of them are not able to avail the best-suited treatment because of various best fistula treatment factors like the improper selection of the doctor and lack of information about the available fistula treatment methods.
This post will help you know about the available treatment methods for anal fistula and the best one among them. Also, we will try to break down how much the best fistula treatment costs.
Available Treatment Methods for Fistula:
Anal fistula, or fistula-in-ano, is one of the anorectal diseases where an abnormal tunnel-like connection develops between the inner surface of the anal canal and the skin around the anus. Due to this, you can suffer from symptoms like throbbing pain, swelling and itching in the anal area and redness around the anus.
If your fistula doesn’t heal in six to eight weeks, you should seek medical care from expert proctologists. If the anal fistula is left untreated, you can suffer from serious complications like an increase in the risk of developing anal cancer. So, we suggest you not avoid or delay the fistula treatment.
With the help of the latest medical technology and advancements in the medical field, several treatment methods have emerged, which are used to cure the fistula.
- Fistulectomy: Surgical removal or excision of the entire tract of the fistula is known as fistulectomy. It is carried under general anaesthesia, and so you won’t feel any pain or discomfort during the surgery process. This is recommended in cases of complex fistulas and involves the risk of damage to the sphincter muscle [results in fecal incontinence].
- Fistula plug: This method involves inserting a specially designed plug into the fistula. The plug is a 100% synthetic and bio-absorbable scaffold. Over time, body cells absorb the plug and close the fistula leaving no permanent material in the body.
- Video-assisted anal fistula treatment [VAAFT]: Video-assisted anal fistula treatment is highly recommended for patients suffering from complex fistulas. In this procedure, a fistuloscope is used. VAAFT consists of two  stages: the diagnostic and treatment stages.
In the diagnostic phase, your doctor will detect the external opening of the tract, and in the treatment stage, the inner side of the fistula tract is destroyed with the help of electric sparks generated by a high-frequency current [fulgurated].
- Laser surgery: One of the safest and painless surgical methods to cure anal fistula is laser surgery. This procedure is used to remove the fistula tract without damaging the sphincter muscle. In this method, a laser fibre is inserted into the fistula tract, where the laser energy is emitted to destruct the tract and helps to boost the healing process.
- Ligation of intersphincteric fistula tract [LIFT]: For deeper fistulas, this method is recommended by most doctors. This technique involves the placement of a seton in the fistula tract, which is left there [tract] for a few weeks. The seton wide opens the tract over a few weeks, and then the surgeon removes the infected tissue and closes the internal fistula opening. The main advantage of this procedure is that the fistula is accessed between the sphincter muscles [avoids the cutting of sphincter muscles].
- Distal laser proximal ligation [DLPL]: In this procedure, the internal opening of the tract and abscess cavity are removed as the first step, followed by the closure of the distal tract. Next, with the help of a laser, the proximal part of the fistula tract is sealed. DLPL method is used to close a complex anal fistula tract without causing fecal incontinence.
- Ayurvedic technique: Ksharsutra is one of the ayurvedic techniques used to treat fistula. In this method, a special thread is coated with ayurvedic preparations and is inserted into the fistula tract. This thread causes local irritation and leads to cauterisation and inflammation within the tract. Due to this, all the infected material like pus gets drained out and helps in healing the fistula.
Out of all these treatment methods for anal fistula, choosing the right and safest one can be difficult. One of the highly experienced and well-trained doctors from Pristyn Care says, “Laser fistula treatment is one of the best and safest methods widely used by many doctors to cure an anal fistula. Laser technique involves benefits that are not associated with other treatment methods. The biggest benefit is that there are no cuts, sutures or stitches involved in the surgery.”
Why is Laser Surgery Considered one of the Best ways to Cure Fistula?
Every medical procedure or surgery involves some risks and complications. Similarly, a few of the risks associated with fistula treatment methods that can affect the wellbeing of the patient are:
- Hematoma [collection of blood in the surgical area]
- Infection at the site of surgery
- Fecal impaction [trap of stool in the anal canal]
- Fecal incontinence [inability to control the bowel movements]
- Anal stenosis [narrowing of the anal canal]
In the case of laser treatment, you won’t suffer from any of the above-mentioned risks, and instead, you can get benefited as it involves:
- No cuts
- No scar formation
- No pain
- Minimal bleeding
- No risk of infections and post-surgical complications
- No chances of fecal incontinence or fecal leakage
Many proctologists around the world highly recommend laser fistula surgery because of benefits like:
- Quick recovery and faster healing from the surgery
- Shorter stay in the hospital
- Functions of anal sphincter muscles are well preserved
- Minimal recurrence rate of anal fistula
- High success rate without any major side effects
- The patient can get back to do normal activities within a few days
Cost of laser fistula surgery:
On average, the cost of laser fistula surgery can range between Rs. 45,000 to Rs. 62,000. This can vary from one patient to another due to various factors, and a few of them are:
- Type and location of the hospital
- The expertise of the doctor
- The severity and types of fistula
- Amount to be paid for diagnostic tests and laboratory examinations
The cost mentioned here is for reference purposes only. If you wish to know the exact cost of laser fistula surgery, contact the coordinator of a specific clinic or hospital where you wish to avail the fistula treatment.
Whether you are suffering from an anal fistula or having recurrent flare-ups, try to follow home remedies in the initial stages. If home remedies fail to reduce the severity of your fistula, plan to undergo the best surgical treatment at your nearest location. One of the safest hospitals that offer a permanent cure for fistula is Pristyn Care. They offer various perks like no-cost EMI, 100% insurance claim, and multiple payment methods to reduce the financial burden on patients.